Why all the fuss about sign design?
Sign design is not only an art, it’s a science as well. If you don’t know how to manage the right elements on a sign – it could mean the difference between someone finding it readable and compelling and take action (aka stop and enter your business) or driving right by.
Here are five important points about designing a successful sign so it does its important job for you – bring people into your business.
1. Sign design is very different from business cards, letterheads, websites or any other type of advertising because your audience only has 4 to 5 seconds of exposure. You want them to know, at a glance, who you are and what you do. At the same time, projecting a successful, positive image.
2. There’s an important term we call the “First Read Concept”. This concept is all about turning heads & building businesses just like yours. First Read is that instant information you are receiving when you see the sign. It can be either words or a graphic depending on the dominance of the element. The First Read should always indicate “What you do”.
3. The Second Read is “Who you are”.
4. Too much copy, too many graphics and cluttered backgrounds make the sign a “No Read”.
5. High Contrast – without the proper “Color Contrast” your sign will look like camouflage. You want the highest contrast possible. Signtronix designers have created thousands of sign layouts and have years of design experience. The layout you receive will have all the elements of proper sign design to ensure maximum readability.
We would be happy to discuss any of your sign design questions and help you create a sign that turns heads and gets you noticed. Not every sign does that. There are many that chase people away.
Think about it. If you were to see these signs in front of a business, which would you want to visit?
There is more to sign design than meets the eye. Do not try this at home. Have a professional sign designer make it the best for your business!